Eric's USA history
 Back to index  

In my early days it was very exciting to travel to the USA, It was at the forefront of computing developments. I was young. We had already lived in Vienna, and although the American language is nearer to English than German is, I felt more at home in Vienna (and later Russia) than in the states. Their culture and approach to life is very different from ours.

Thursday 25th April 1968. My first trip to the USA, as director of computing looking at the latest developments. First flight was to Boston flight BA561 depart Heathrow 12h30. I flew on a BA Vickers VC10, it has two engines each side at the rear, making it very stable. British Airways were not officially allowed to let people off at Boston, the plane was flying on to Detroit and picking up passengers at Boston. But BA wanted my business, so let me buy a ticket, and I disembarked at Boston with the crew. On arrival at Boston and leaving the terminal, I needed to go downtown so asked a policeman for the way to find a bus, he said "Get lost bud", what a good introduction to the USA.

I was exploring the predecessor of the Internet, the ArpaNet (ARPA = Advanced Project Research Agency, part of DoD = Department of Defense). I went on visits to MIT to see their "Sketchpad" graphics software, and to BBN (Bolt Beranek and Newman). BBN made the "nodes" for the ArpaNet with small Honeywell DDP516 and 316 computers.

Then a day as a tourist in New York, of course I visited the wonderful United Nations buildings, and went up the Empire State building.

29th On down the east coast to Atlantic City for the conference, I travelled by the famous and cheap Greyhound bus, about 4 hours. I stayed at a cheap hotel on Regent Street. The conference ran from the 30th to March 3rd. It was in the Atlantic City Convention Hall, the "Spring Joint Computer Conference" SJCC (there's a conference every spring and fall) daily 08h30 to 17h00. It is organised by The American Association of Computing Machinery. They organise each year a SJCC (on the East coast) and a FJCC (on the West coast). This was the early days of computing, when everyone was interested in what everyone else did. The Atlantic City conventipn center is famous for haing the largest organ in the world, so of course there was an organ recital one day. I walked along by the sea on the famous "Board Walk", all wooden boards slippery in the wet, the stalls all along were like a glorified Skegness but mussing good fish and chips! Atlantic City is the original home of Monopoly, the original version is for Atlantic City.

After the conference was over I headed back to New York and on up to Toronto, then to London, Ontario. London is of course on the River Thames. I chatted at the University of Western Ontario with Bruce Shawyer, ex-Nottingham Mathematics Department. Nearby to London was Stratford on the River Avon and with a Shakespeare Theatre. Canada really likes to be English.

Then on to Waterloo University. They were famous at that time for their Fortran compiler, especially written and good for teaching, fast to compile student programs, and good diagnostics. They have a big computing centre with IBM kit.

The last visit of the trip was to the University of Toronto for discussions on timetabling with Prof Gottlieb who also has dome work on computer timetabling. He's clever, but my program works better! I'd already written a timetabling programme for Nottingham University, it worked well, and had been in real use for several years, and we had published papers about it. I also visited relatives, the Twaites, distant cousins of my mum. I used the new Toronto underground train line which had just opened. On departure from Toronto the Twaites all came to see me off. Afterwards in the airport duty free shop, buying last minute presents, I lost my wallet, presumed stolen when I laid it on the counter, They delayed the plane while I had a police (a real full dress Mountie) interview, The plane waited for me. It was Air Canada's inaugural 747 Jumbo, with a special celebration cake, the plane was almost empty. A number of years later I found the wallet in an unused and unkown inside pocket in my fur coat in the UK.

Wednesday 12th May 1970. Another trip by Eric until 3 June to USA for the SJCC again and other visits. First I went to Boston and stayed with Jean and Cecil. Cecil at that time had a much sought-after annual fellowship at Harvard most summers. One day Cecil treated me to a ploughman's lunch at the Harvard Irish Pub, I think he hoped he would get my beer, but I drank the beer too, first ever beer, OK! I visited MIT Massachusetts Institute of Technology again. My main business was the Atlantic City SJCC (Spring Joint Computer Conference) (again), (and there is always an organ recital on the world's biggest organ). Then on to San Francisco suburb Stanford for a visit to the Center for Augmentation of the Human Intellect. All staff there all had to type with the left hand on a strange five-key thingy with one key for each finger, it obviously never caught on. I hired a VW Beetle stick-shift, and had fun driving it down "the crookedest street in the world". Then a visit to winery across the bridge, and a beautufl wood of very tall redwood trees. I was invited to a barbecue with Gene Golub (numeric analyst), very rare beef, nice guy. Individuals here are very friendly.

Sunday 24th June 1973 This visit was with NAG (the "Nottingham Algorithms Group", started by me and Brian Ford to encourage co-operation between computing centres developing numerical software, they party included John Prentice, Lill, Lynda Hayes). We went to Chicago (the Argonne Lab, creator of the IMS = IBM Mathematics Subroutine Library, another numeric software library), then on to California where we went to the Lawrence Livermore Ultra High security Lab (we only got through 2 of the 5 security levels). We left Brian Ford to give the NAG talk while the rest of us went to a local winery. The evening was a Chinese nosh in Berkeley. At one motel there was surprise when I said to Linda at evening meal "What time do you want me to knock you up in the morning?". The whole room went silent.

March 1983. This time for my visit to the USA I was as "honor guest lecturer in music analysis". I flew in through Atlanta, with its automatic little trains between terminals. I blocked the closing doors with my foot, and it said "Take your foot out of the door"; very clever. Oklahoma State University OSU is at Stillwater, a small town with not much more than a university,. My job was to give a lecture at various places on "Music Analysis and Classification"as part of "Mid-west Universities Honor Lecture" program. I was picked up from the airport by one of the staff Arlene and taken straight (it was lunchtime) to a strip club, the girls were not pretty; I must have a reputation! I stayed with ex-student Mahir. While I was there we bought a water bed for Angus, Mahir and I went round the shops testing them for bounce and ripple. One lay on the bed, the other jumped up and down, what did the staff think? The bars in Stillater sold only weak beer till "closing time", after wich you could buy spirits. The spirits were supposedly owned by the regulars for legal purposes.

June/July 1983 a longer trip. First consulting computer performance with oil companies in Oklahoma, then teaching summer school at Victoria in Canada, then a holiday in USA with Joy.

Via Dallas to Oklahoma. Business visit to USA. Oklahoma State University at Stillwater. OSU had connections with Nottingham Computer Science. This was a general purpose visit, mainly to oil companies, discussing their computer performance modelling (Mahir & I had done some good maths and published on that), to Amoco at Tulsa, and Conoco at Ponka City. I stayed at Mahir's house. At the oil companies I was impressed with how smart people were at work, but how casually dressed as soon as work ended.

Then on to Victoria Canada on Vancouver Island via Seattle. From Seattle you catch the "white knuckles flight" (over the Olympic mountains, quite bouncy with all the air currents) to Victoria. A typical dumb blond lady checked me in, then took my luggage to the small 6 seat plane, then got in the pilot's seat. She was obviously NOT dumb! There was a very thorough customs search for drugs at a stop at the USA/Canada border, apparently it's one of the common drugs routes. On to Victoria for teaching at Victoria University on Vancouver Island. I taught a Pascal course for their Summer School, a new experience that the students can challenge your marking. I stayed (alone) at Jon Muzio's house, had the house to myself, he's a Nottingham logic/computing PhD and head of department here, and was away. Walking distance from the house to the pleasant new campus. Much jogging around the local gentle hills every evening, I was very healthy with all the exercise, weighed myself daily. Sue Isaacson (ex-Davies & Pete) wanted to come out and stay, she would have paid her air fare. It would have been good company for me and good for her, and pleasant times would have been had. But to her dismay & great annoyance I declined. She's too intense at times, it would have been hard to concentrate on work. I visited the International Folk Festival in Victoria (good food, loud and excellent Japanese drumming group)., and spent a day (ferry journey each way) at the big Folk festival at Vancouver (heard St Anne's and Opera reels played by lots (1000!) of fiddlers, and saw other morris teams). I played several times for the (slightly geriatric) Victoria Morris Men; the Vancouver men were much more vigorous, and the mixed Seattle side was very precise.

I visited the some of the Twaites family (related on Mum's side somewhere) at Port Coquitlam, a bus journey from Vancouver. I was taken to Simon Fraser University where their daughter works, it's on top of a nearby mountain, a silly very draughty place, inaccessible in winter because of snow. Impressive architecture but stupid. I gave the Victoria museum a copy of one of our "Canadian Pacific railway" lantern slides, they dated it to 1902 by looking at the ships in the harbour. I also went canoeing for a day with John Woods (ex-next door to mum & dad at Bookham, and ex chemistry lecturer at Imperial College London now a prof at UVic) with packed lunch, a super day out paddling. He died not long afterwards.

I drove up to the extreme north of Vancouver Island, the furthest west longitude I've ever been. Wild and remote, you had to sign in as you passed a certain point and check back on your return.

Then it was time to head back south to Oklahoma, Joy had flown out to Dallas and was staying with Mahir. White knuckles to Seattle and on, another thorough drug search after the USA border. We both tayed with Mahir who lent us his luxury car. We two had a holiday tour in Mahir's car (a Chrysler Monte Carlo) round Colorado, Utah, Arizona. Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater, dead volcano, petrified forest. First west across the plains to Denver, very high ground level. Up the world's highest road up Pike's Peak at Mount Evans 14260 feet, on the way down Joy fainted running across the car park looking for a loo (there wasn't one). Through the Eisenhower road tunnel. Then Arches National Park, Chequerboard Mesa National Park. Stayed at Marble Canyon, then to the Grand Canyon (just amazing how deep and wide it is, Eric walked a little of the way down the trail while Joy waited at the top). Then Meteor Crater, the Petrified Forest (Joy disappointed, she expected a standing forest). Then the Mesa Verde, an ancient (1200AD?) cliff-dwelling civilisation with round stone houses. Access is by a ladder bolted onto the cliff side, quite frightening climbing up. Then to Durango (eat at "Cafe des Dos Juans" of the two Johns, the menu consisted of "This Juan" "Another Juan" "The best Juan"). Then white water rafting, not very white! Then to Santa Fe New Mexico, lovely buildings sculpted in Adobe. Then we stayed in a Woody Hedrick cabin (well, his ex-wife's) up in Colorado by the Rio Grande river, with feeding thingy for humming birds. Then another ex-mining village and a volcanic park, up to the crater rim. Also visit to "Sod House", the oldest house in Oklahoma, made of turfs, preserved in a hangar. It was a little older than our house! Visit to Oral Roberts University, all gold plate, fundamentalist religious. In Vancouver bought NW Coast Indian art from Raven Arts Ltd 45 Bastion Square.

June 1987 was my last trip to the USA! I was on the ISO (International Standards Organisation) working party for SMDL. I flew "Continental" airline. Appalling airline. I wrote in complaint, they thanked me for having provided "input to their thought processes". Most of the working party work was by email, but this time we met in Minneapolis -- ISO Music Committee XV4.1M, developing SMDL (Standard Music Description Language) and HYTIME. SMDL was a language like HTML or SGML for describing music. HYTIME was for describing sound-and-light shows. I walked everywhere! Much swearing by the chairman Charles Gottlieb of IBM. Fun discussion on "what is a piece of music, and "must we represent the coffee stains on the original manuscript?". The detail was boring. Minneapolis-St Paul is a nice twin city, most valuable shops are at first floor level with walkways at first floor across roads.

The main history page is here. This copy edited Sunday 11-Oct-2020

   Back to index
holly       holly